Disclosure: We get a commission for links on this website. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
After earning a ton of points in 2015, we are finally getting around to some big trip redemptions in 2016. For our first trip of the year, Brooke and I decided to visit Ireland, Scotland (land of my ancestors), London, and Paris. We added a weekend in Boston on the front end, allowing us to book a cheap award flight into Ireland. This page will serve as a table of contents for the entire trip. If you are considering a trip to any/all of these destinations, our experiences can help craft your itinerary.
We will provide all of our logistics and costs (points and/or cash). We will review all of our accommodations, including Hotels, AirBNB’s, and even an overnight sleeper bus! Finally, we will recommend some awesome tours we enjoyed, provide the top 10 things to know, and give you some suggestions for a packing list. Bookmark this page, because we will update with links as we add new posts. Enjoy!
Complete Trip Logistics
This trip included planes, trains, cars, and even a sleeper bus! We rented cars in Ireland and Scotland, which allowed us to plan our own itinerary and take some beautiful, scenic drives through the countryside. We booked an overnight Megabus from Glasgow to London, which was a fantastic decision. Our trip from London to Paris was on the very efficient Eurostar train. The table below lists out our costs in cash/points/miles for all methods of transportation.
Flight Booking Report – This post provides more information on how we booked the award flights listed below.
- Day 1 – Dublin Airport, Birr Castle, Cliffs of Moher
- Hotel Spotlight: Balleyseede Castle
- Day 2 – Gap of Dunloe, Muckross House & Gardens, Killarney National Park
- Hotel Spotlight: Cork AirBNB
- Day 3 – Blarney Castle, Rock of Cashel, Kilkenny Castle
- Hotel Spotlight: Dublin AirBNB
- Day 4 – Old Jameson Distillery Tour, Free Walking Tour, Guinness Connoisseur Experience, Open Gate Brewing
- Day 5 – Game of Thrones filming locations, Archery, Direwolves
- Hotel Spotlight: Belfast Holiday Inn Express
- Day 6 – Glasgow Airport, Auchentoshan Distillery, Glencoe, Loch Ness
- Hotel Spotlight: Inverness AirBNB
- Day 7 – Tomatin Distillery, Cairngorms National Park, Dalwhinnie Distillery
- Hotel Spotlight: Dundee Doubletree Manor House
- Day 8 – St Andrews Old Course, Edinburgh Ghost Tour
- Hotel Spotlight: Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
- Day 9 – Free Walking Tour, Harry Potter trivia, Arthur’s Seat views
- Day 10 – Moffat, Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Brewdog Pub
- Day 11 – Westminster Abbey, London sightseeing, Borough Market, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Trafalgar Square, Overnight Megabus
- Hotel Spotlight: Sheraton Park Lane Hotel
- Day 12 – English Bus Tour: Bath & Stonehenge
- Day 13 – National Portrait Gallery, National Gallery, Eurostar Train to Paris
- Hotel Spotlight: Hotel Acadia
- Day 14 – Musee d’Orsay, Eiffel Tower, Champs de Elyses monuments, O’Chateau Wine Tasting
- Day 15 – Musee d’Louvre, Notre Dame Cathedral
Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.